For over two hundred years Rummy has been considered the most popular card game in the world. Although there is a game called Rummy, the name is also used to describe a family of card games that share similar characteristics. We offer an online version of Traditional Rummy that contains all of the basic rules and features of the rummy games.
The Traditional Rummy Table
The game is designed to be played by 2-4 players. The object of the game is to be the first player with no cards in their hand. The game is divided into rounds and turns. A turn consists of two actions: picking up a card, and discarding a card at the end of the turn. Cards can either be picked up from the deck, or alternately it is possible to pick up the card that was discarded by the previous player during his or her turn. When discarding, it is most likely that a player will choose to discard the card that has the least value to that player’s hand.
One card has to be kept in hand in order to be able to complete the turn.
Run – at least three consecutive cards from the same suit.
Set – at least three cards with the same value from different suits.
When a player is left without any cards in his or her hand, that player wins the game, and their opponenets are penalized according to the accumulated value of the cards that were left in their hands when the game was won.
For more information on the rules of Traditional Rummy, and its scoring system, visit our Traditional Rummy rules page. You can also visit out Traditional online Rummy strategy page to read about some of our game strategies and tips.
Traditional Rummy can end after one round or three, where the points collected during the game are calculated in order to determine the winner. Players have two main options: either to gradually lay down melds in order to reduce the risk of being caught by another player, or to try to lay down all the melds at once. This type of win is called “hunt”, and winning this way will reward the winner with more points.
Click here to watch a tutorial that will help you learn how to play Rummy quickly and easily.
How to Play Traditional Rummy
Free Rummy is relatively easy to learn, since its complexity develops throughout the course of games and not as a result of its rules. Some basic principles are common to all rummy games (Kalooki, Gin & Rummy500). These principles can be learned by reading the following information, but nevertheless success relies on skill, concentration, abilities and in-game performance.
- Rummy is designed for two to four players.
- The game requires two full decks of cards, without the jokers (a total of 104 cards).
- Every player is dealt 10 cards when the game starts.
- The purpose of the game is to be the first one without any cards in hand.
- In the course of the game players must create melds from the cards they have in their hand, where two types of melds exist: runs – which are consecutive cards from the same suit, and sets – which are similar cards from different suits.
- A meld must have at least 3 cards.
- A set must have between 3 and 13 cards.
- Every turn online rummy players have to draw at the beginning of the turn, and to discard at the end.
- You can draw either from the discard pile or from the deck. The only card that can be taken from the discard pile is the last card that was thrown.
- Players can perform another action during their turn which is laying down cards onto the meld area. It is possible to lay down valid melds or to add individual cards to existing melds.
- When a player has no more cards left, his or her opponents are penalized according to the cards they have in their hand. Every card is worth it’s value, except for royalty cards which are worth 10 points each, and the ace which is worth 11 points.
- There are two types of wins in Rummy: going out and going rummy. Going out is when a player gets rid of his or her entire hand gradually, and going rummy is when a player lays down all his or her melds at once.
- Pot distribution is calculated by the players’ points, and the winner gets at least 75% of the pot.
These are the general principles and basic instructions of how to play rummy online. Our website offers detailed information on rules and game terms, a short interactive demo, Rummy Tips and Strategy, and all the information that new players need.
When you feel that you know how to play rummy, join us at the real money tables and let your skill make money for you! Now, in order to start playing Rummy all that’s left to do is to download our application for free and join thousand of players from all around the globe in making Rummy history!